Monday, January 9, 2023

My Home: An Oneida Legend

 


My Home: An Oneida Legend by Oneida Indian Nation and Four Directions Productions


Once, long ago, there was a turtle who lived along a lovey river.  Turtle lived there with frog and she took care of the river so that it remained clean for her and the other animals.  She did this throughout the year then she would hibernate for the winter.  When spring arrived she would wake from her long sleep to take care of the river and her animal friends again.  But, one spring she woke up to find her river missing.  The only thing left was mud and tree stumps.  She looked around and found a strange looking building that was preventing the river from flowing through the woods.  Inside the strange building was a beaver who said he made the building in the name of "progress" and he would not be sharing the river with turtle.  This made Turtle upset and she challenged Beaver to a race to see who would get to make decisions about the river and the land.  Can you guess who won?  So, how did I find this book and why did I choose to read it?  Well, last week for the first time ever I had a chance to visit the Oneida Nation in New York State.  While there I decided to visit a store that specialized in  products made by people within the Oneida Nation.  There were a small number of picture books and this is the book that got my attention.  I'm so happy it did.  The illustrations are eye catching.  The message is important.  And, I loved that a village elder shares the story with his grandson.  It really did make me want to hear and learn more about the Oneida Nation and it's stories.  If you would like to learn more then visit the following websites with a trusted adult:

No comments: