Thursday, March 26, 2020

I Survived: The Sinking of the Titanic, 1912 (The Graphic Novel)

I Survived: The Sinking of the Titanic, 1912 (The Graphic Novel) by Lauren Tarshis with art by Haus Studio

     Most people know the story of the sinking of the Titanic, the "unsinkable" ship that hit an iceberg and sank on its first voyage.  And while that, of course, is terrible, the real tragedy was that there were not enough lifeboats to save every person on board.  Over one thousand people died as a result while only a few hundred survived.  This book is a retelling of the events of the night of the sinking.  George and his sister, Phoebe, are on a special trip with their aunt and end up on the Titanic on their way home to New York.  During the beginning of the voyage George and his sister meet many interesting people, but not everyone will survive.  The question is who will live and who will die?  Like all the I Survive books, most kids will have a hard time putting it down, especially since this version is in graphic novel form.  I'm hoping more of the I Survive books will soon be available in graphic novel format.  But, I'll admit, as an adult my favorite part of the book wasn't the graphic novel format...though I really did love it.  My favorite part of the book was all the facts at the end.  So, this is where I would normally share a good website to learn more about the Titanic.  For better of for worse there are a number of "official" Titanic museums with good websites.  I've decided to recommend two.  The Titanic Historical Society is located not too far from us in Springfield, MA (https://titanichistoricalsociety.org/) and it's supposed to have a large collection of survivor artifacts.  The other website I'd recommend is Titanic Belfast (https://www.titanicbelfast.com/)  because the Titanic was built in Ireland.  If you like this books I'd recommend other books in the I Survive series by Lauren Tarshis.  You can find her books at https://www.laurentarshis.com/.

Don't forget:

  • SORA (ebooks) has a HUGE number of books, both fiction and non-fiction, related to the Titanic.
  • BrainPOP has a video about the Titanic and the science issues related to the sinking.
  • There's even a YouTube video, provided Scholastic, about the book.  Visit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1GhqSf_MOk to watch the video.

No comments: