Thursday, June 22, 2017

Anything But Ordinary Addie: The True Story of Adelaide Herrmann Queen of Magic

Anything But Ordinary Addie: The True Story of Adelaide Herrmann Queen of Magic by Mara Rockliff and illustrated by Iacopo Bruno

Five Paw Prints

Historically the most famous magicians have been men.  David Copperfield, Harry Houdini, Penn and Teller...Merlin.  Women are not usually remembered for magic unless they were the “beautiful assistant”.  But, I’m going to guess you’ve never heard of Adelaide Herrmann.  Adelaide was born and raised a “proper” young lady during Victorian England but Addie wasn’t interested in being “proper”  because she wanted excitement.  She learned how to dance, ride a bike (VERY un-ladylike), and she traveled Europe looking for excitement.  She eventually decided to travel to the United States to look for more excitement.  While traveling SHE proposed to a man she met.  SHOCKING!  Addie became his “beautiful assistant” and they became famous, but when he died suddenly something needed to be done or else their magic show would have to be cancelled.  Addie had a decision to make, what would she do?  I’ll be honest, I don’t know much about magic and it’s never been a topic of interest to me.  I was wandering through the library when I stumbled on this book and I’m so happy I decided to read it.  I really loved this book.  I thought Addie with her adventures and bravery was awesome.  I want to learn more.  If you want to learn more about Adelaide Herrmann too then visit http://www.adelaideherrmann.com/.  If you want to learn more about becoming a magician then visit http://www.magicsam.com/?SYMYouthProgram.

No comments: