Monday, August 22, 2011

The Popularity Papers: Research for the Social Improvement and General Betterment of Lydia Goldblatt and Julie Graham-Chang by Amy Ignatow

Reviewed by Miss Dewey at Orenda

Four pawprints.  Lydia and Julie are best friends, are in 5th grade, and they are worried about starting middle school next year.  Neither of them have many friends and they are determined to be popular next year, but they are not sure how to be popular.  They decide to watch all the popular kids in school and keep notes of  their observations.  Unfortunately, being popular isn't as easy as they thought and it's not working out the way they hoped.  When I first saw this book it was the great visuals that got my attention.  The book isn't really a graphic novel, but it is a combination of words and pictures.  I really liked this book.  I thought the words and pictures worked well together and I loved the idea of two students "observing" popular students to learn how to act.  I only had one problem with the book.  The story is supposed to be about 5th graders, but NOTHING about their experiences "say" elementary school.  This book may claim the girls are getting ready for 6th grade but the plot SCREAMS 8th grade girls getting ready for high school.  Though I feel this is a GLARING problem...I still loved the book.  The plot (aside from the grade) is very realistic and I think girls will be able to relate to Lydia and Julie.  I'm looking forward to reading the next book.  In fact, it's already on my nightstand.  To learn more about Amy Ignatow, visit http://www.abramsbooks.com/popularitypapers/.

No comments: